As time goes on, I will be adding my thoughts about various topics to this blog and, I hope, you will be adding your comments about those same topics and my thoughts. As a forewarning, I will say now that most of these will concern the various 'microhistory' books that I will be reading and thus you may not find some of them interesting. That being said, please do check back at other times because you never know when the topic will change dramatically.
The question that should pop into most people's minds now is "What is a microhistory?". That is a fair questions since novels and textbooks are the far more common types of books that people encounter. The origins of the microhistory is actually linked to the first microhistory that I read (The Cheese and the Worms: The Cosmos of a Sixteenth Century Miller
More recently, there have been some particularly intriguing mircohistories by authors such as Mark Kurlansky (Salt: A World History
One final note in this opening post, I would like to apologize for the URL using 'ponderment', but every variation using 'pondering' has already been taken. The more depressing bit of news is that all of them are years outdated, some with more than a decade of inactivity and most with only one or two posts total. Perhaps these people are simply being particularly pensive about the topics that they find worth pondering, but I am more of the mind that these blogs have been abandoned.
Check back in the future, make comments, and enjoy some of the reading yourself!
No comments:
Post a Comment